Thursday, January 19, 2012

Are You Hungry?

Now we have moved to Japan in our Asian trek. The hotel we are staying at is in the Hyatt family of hotels and is pretty nice. In comparison with the hotel in Seoul, the beds are more comfortable in Japan. The Japanese hotel room is smaller. The workout center was better in Korea, it had a full 25 meter indoor lap pool, many treadmills of high quality and a big selection of free weights and fitness aids, such as balance balls etc.

Breakfast at the Korean hotel was roughly US$42 per day. That is a lot even if the company is picking up the check. We did not have a lot of time in the mornings so I ended up eating there most mornings. The selection of food was very good. A lot of choices including, salad greens, broccoli salad, bean salad, sushi, sirloin steak, barbeque chicken, barbeque fish, scrambled eggs, made to order omelets, fresh fruit, breads, pastries, cereal, and other things were available in a buffet.

The Japanese breakfast is less expensive at about US$32 per day. I have not tried it yet. In the evening when we return from working and arrive at the hotel we visit a 7-11 and stock up on some food for the next morning and some ice cream for dessert.

Last night I tried green tea ice cream thinking it might be decent. It is not. I did not like it at all. I asked around today and the quality of the ice cream depends on the restaurant. Maybe I should not pass judgement since I purchased it from a convenience store (even though the brand was a very well known company with the initials HD). I also purchased a salad and a sandwich for breakfast today.

On the first night, the clerk at the store gave me a small spoon for the ice cream and a fork for the salad. The second night I received a small spoon for the ice cream and some chopsticks for the salad. I can use chopsticks with salad, that is not a problem but I was surprised by the change. Maybe they ran out of forks. Last night I returned back to the room and ate the ice cream with the small spoon provided and put the sack containing the salad and sandwich into the refrigerator for the night.

This morning I woke up and went to the gym to run on a below average treadmill. Then I returned to my room and ate breakfast while I was cooling off before the shower. I was fine with the sandwich but I had a little problem eating the salad. This time they did not give me a fork or a set of chopsticks. I was left to forage for utensils to eat within the room. Here is the only thing I could find:


It is a spoon for use in the tea service that sits in the room. It is slightly undersized based on a normal teaspoon from the USA. Here watch me try to eat with this bad boy…


-

On a side note I think safety in the workplace is one of the most important things. We don’t want to become injured during work especially when there are so many ways to become injured outside of work. I’m not sure if this qualifies as an unsafe work environment and it might not look to bad from the picture. 


What you don’t realize is that the white and orange adapter does not fit into the plug very well and with slight movements the power goes off or on. Plus the extension cord is not grounded. I haven’t heard any electric arcing yet. I’m holding my breath when we leave for break and we move the table a little…

Safety first… or as in Dirty Jobs… safety third.

I have taken a lot of pictures with my phone that I would love to put up here but since I have a dumb phone, I have no way to get the pictures from my phone to my computer. I will put them up after I return to the USA…

-

No comments:

Post a Comment