Saturday, June 30, 2012

Need the Info

The Chief and I sometimes watch infomercials. Not very often but sometimes one catches our eyes, normally me because of the absurdness of said product or the "paid for" enthusiasm. I also have to admit that we always seem to watch them when I have control of the remote control. I don't know what that is all about.

There are always a few common elements to nearly all infomercials. First they are usually in a live studio with an audience. These could be paid or unpaid viewers. Maybe they get a free sample of the new miracle product, or likely a slight discount.

There are always endorsements from some Tom, Dick Richard, Harry, or Sally saying how this is the best product ever and that it saved my life, put my children through college, made a permanent bond between some of my stuff and some of my other stuff, or miraculously cut my hair while it sucked.

The next two items are always present, first the spokesperson or the inventor. Second, a somewhat knowledgeable person who is the second spokesperson who is also amazed with this new product, but not quite as much as the main spokesperson/inventor.

There are some really good spokespeople that are paid to simply demonstrate and make a sales pitch. Billy Mays was one such person. He achieved a level where the studio audience was not necessary and probably would have detracted from his pitch. He did such classics as Mighty Putty, Oxi Clean, Kaboom, and many others.

Another gentleman pitched a product and someone made a rap out of the video. "Watch this, you're gonna love my nuts."

The most recent infomercial we watched was for MyPillow. It has to be the best pillow ever for only $80-200 it can be yours. This infomercial has the characteristic audience, the spokesperson and the second somewhat knowledgeable spokesperson. In this case the second spokesperson really gets into her work.


She was busy. I hope she got a bonus for all the extra work she did.

-

No comments:

Post a Comment