Saturday, October 6, 2012

Chief Cuts Now Open for Business

One of my presents for Christmas 2011 was a set of hair trimmers. I looked at the cost of a haircut by a professional and how much the clippers cost and decided that by the fourth haircut we would have our money back for the trimmers. Before putting the clippers on my list, I checked with the Chief to make sure she was OK with giving me haircuts. She agreed. So I put them on my Christmas list and someone got them for me.

My first haircut by the Chief was later in January 2012 and the Chief did a great job. There was hair all over the place, which was expected and we had planned for it. The second haircut was in late March and again the Chief did a good job. The second cut took a little less time than the first. The third cut was in mid July and she again did a great job. I also think she did it faster than the second cut. She is getting the hang of this!

When we started this endeavor, I was concerned that the Chief would make a mistake. I did not think she would make a mistake on the first haircut, and maybe not the second either. Here was my reasoning: the first couple cuts the Chief would be very nervous and very careful about not making a mistake and doing a good job. The second or third cut she would be more comfortable and potentially more prone to making mistakes probably caused by going to fast or cutting corners.

The way she gives the haircut is to start with a large guard on the clippers and gradually move to a smaller guard until the top is the correct length. Then she will drop another guard number on the sides and then do the trim work around my ears and neck. It is a simple process and she is getting pretty good about it. She is getting faster as predicted but she did not make a mistake until the fourth cut... this Saturday.

She started out normally getting the clippers set and asking about the different guards we used. She asked: "Did you like the guard we used last time?" My answer was, "Yes, it was fine. I think it was a half inch, or maybe five eights." Her response was, "OK." Then I hear some fumbling with the clippers. Then the clippers turn on, and I feel her start near my side burns and go up to the top of my head. Then I hear a gasp from the Chief. Here's why...


She forgot to put the guard on the clippers... I made her stop and take a picture of my head... I was laughing the entire time, she was mortified and feels horrible about it.

So now I am buzzed and I must say, I didn't realize how much my hair insulated the top of my head. It is a little cool outside this weekend and I am wearing a sock hat every time I go outside.

On the bright side, having very short hair, at least shorter than I have ever had as far back as I can remember, has some advantages:

  1. I won't need a comb, for at least 3 weeks
  2. I won't use near as much shampoo
  3. I won't need to wear a swim cap when I go and swim - I still will because it helps keep in my ear plugs
On the downside, 
  1. I will need to wear sunblock or a hat on my head whenever I go running at lunch
  2. My head will be cold, but I can wear a hat...
Now the Chief will not cut anyone's hair except mine. Not that she did before, but now it is official. I'm sorry, you had your chance or a Chief Cut but now it is over...

-

UPDATE:
It seems like the Chief may have done me a favor... it turns out that having a very short haircut make me look more confident, dominant, mature, and appear to be a better leader. All in all, it looks like a haircut may get me a promotion... Don't believe me? Watch this video from the Wall Street Journal here.

Told ya...

-

1 comment: